Duff...
15 posters

Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media.

BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 282
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media. - Page 7 Empty Re: Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media.

Post by BGwaves Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:38 am

I was connecting this story with the story of the Mavs in my head. Cuban thinks the future of sports is more like a sports amusement park with hotels, gambling, etc. A publication that puts on 3 festivals a year cannot be strapped for cash. Also, how many people do you think buy tickets for that and other festivals before any artist is mentioned? What if the future of pitchfork is some sort of hipster amusement park? I’m not young so I don’t know what something like that would look like but the fact that a publication is kinda folding their publication arm, you gotta wonder where those resources are going. We’ve talked about how the last ten years of pfork writing seemed to facilitate their fests. You can bet pfork will have all the best new music artists on the bill unless they’re already playing lolla. No more negative reviews, lest you alienate an artist you’d like to have at this years or future fests. So is the future, fests with no media to hype them but you trust the brand so much that you just know it will be good? I don’t know, this is me babbling after a cup of coffee, so if it’s incoherent, my apologies.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1139

Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media. - Page 7 Empty Re: Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media.

Post by undo Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:34 pm

I was recently confronted with the reality that anyone under 20 is just straight up Rolling Eyes Laughing Suspect any time you show them an entire paragraph of text. They think you're fucking joking, literally can't believe you'd expect anyone to actually read it, and that you're full of yourself for writing it in the first place.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:39 pm

Wild to think of all the music sites I’ve read since like 2000 and yet message boards are where I’ve always discovered the music I have loved the most.

It isn’t exaggerating to say message boards changed my life and recommendations from people here improved my life. I don’t think message boards can ever die like Pitchfork so that give me comfort.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:08 pm

100% agree, hope all of us keep chooglin’
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:14 pm

undo wrote:I was recently confronted with the reality that anyone under 20 is just straight up Rolling Eyes Laughing Suspect any time you show them an entire paragraph of text.
    How many people under 20 do you interact with in this capacity? My son, his friends, and other relatives of a similar age are the only ones I do but to be fair I try to avoid this type of interaction. I cannot imagine the horror my son would feel if I asked one of his friends to read a paragraph.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:54 pm

https://pitchfork.com/features/article/the-age-of-shitpost-modernism/

I'm so bored of this.

The obvious retort is "lol, you're old, fuck off and die" but man, just zero skepticism of what's essentially just musical slush, just desperate pandering to the lowest common denominator by slapping some declaration of avant garde folk art of the real people onto what's basically just toilet stall graffiti.

This is the path of least resistance or curiosity, just celebrating doomscrolling consumption because you're terrified of the consequences of questioning it. Yeah, this site is done for and had nothing left to say. See ya!

Last edited by undo on Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wording)
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:19 pm

BGwaves wrote:
    undo wrote:I was recently confronted with the reality that anyone under 20 is just straight up Rolling Eyes Laughing Suspect any time you show them an entire paragraph of text.
    How many people under 20 do you interact with in this capacity? My son, his friends, and other relatives of a similar age are the only ones I do but to be fair I try to avoid this type of interaction. I cannot imagine the horror my son would feel if I asked one of his friends to read a paragraph.

The answer is practically zero, I guess I'm still reacting to a comment that some kid left last week on something that a friend of mine recently put a lot of work into writing. It was so smug and ignorant and entitled and when that's written by someone who happens to be a Fortnite-obsessed, barely-literate dipshit memelord then yeah

Then yeah

Yeah, I'll definitely be posting about him on my message board!

where we rate the experiences of taking a dump on a scale of 0.0 to 10.0

I'm not enjoying The Biden Years or what became of culture. I've often wanted to ask my parents what they thought and felt about everything that was happening when they were 40-45 and how it made them feel but I can't breech the subject in a way that doesn't feel uncomfortably weird.

We were young and dumb too but there was no way for that to spill out of our little worlds and into everyone else's.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:04 pm

Remind yourself that it’s a cycle and they will definitely get caught up in it if they actually reach our age.

My son, who is 16, is smug all the time. And when something we’ve told him not to do bites him in the ass, we don’t go full ‘I told you so’ but we gently remind him that this is what we were talking about and now you know, go forward from here whichever way you please. Not exactly the same thing you speak of but I feel you regardless, this youth seems to be more ‘know-it-all’ than previous generations because all the info they need is on the computer. Who needs an older person who was actually there telling you what it was like when you can watch a tik tok video with some 20 explaining it?
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:51 pm

I just came across a Pitchfork review for an album that seemed interesting and put it on. Then I checked the byline. It was written by our own Dash Lewis!

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/cowboy-sadness-selected-jambient-works-vol-1/

Looks like he's a fully fledged writer these days.

Congrats Dash!
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:10 am

You're damn write he is
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 259

Post by jesus jones Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:19 pm

chrondog wrote:I just came across a Pitchfork review for an album that seemed interesting and put it on. Then I checked the byline. It was written by our own Dash Lewis!

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/cowboy-sadness-selected-jambient-works-vol-1/

Looks like he's a fully fledged writer these days.

Congrats Dash!
    hey thanks man! hope you dug that record

BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:42 am

https://markrichardson.substack.com/p/early-encounters-with-future-pitchfork

This was a nice read. Might make a few of you nostalgic, hope you enjoy.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:13 pm

undo wrote:https://pitchfork.com/features/article/the-age-of-shitpost-modernism/

I'm so bored of this.

The obvious retort is "lol, you're old, fuck off and die" but man, just zero skepticism of what's essentially just musical slush, just desperate pandering to the lowest common denominator by slapping some declaration of avant garde folk art of the real people onto what's basically just toilet stall graffiti.

This is the path of least resistance or curiosity, just celebrating doomscrolling consumption because you're terrified of the consequences of questioning it. Yeah, this site is done for and had nothing left to say. See ya!
    Would it make you feel better/different if you knew it was the son of Simon Reynolds?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:32 pm

BGwaves wrote:
    undo wrote:https://pitchfork.com/features/article/the-age-of-shitpost-modernism/

I'm so bored of this.

Would it make you feel better/different if you knew it was the son of Simon Reynolds?

This makes me feel something but it's hard to understand what.

I have a lot of thoughts about the state of journalism these days but upon examination, most are probably pretty ill-informed or out of date so who cares what I think
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:01 pm

Are they waiting until Pitchfork Fest tickets sell out before pulling the plug on, you know, the go-to site for Pitchfork Fest info and tickets?

What's the deal here
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by jesus jones Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:19 pm

what do you mean
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:25 pm

What does GQ want to "do" with the website, now that they own it?

And when will they do it? I guess I thought we'd have a better idea by now.

I mean hopefully no one pulls the plug on anything, just imagining the worst case scenario, as I'm always wont to do, where www.pitchfork.com one day suddenly redirects to gq.com or something. I realize that changes probably won't be quite so drastic.
    jesus jones
    jesus jones
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Post by jesus jones Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:26 am

from my understanding, pitchfork will continue to be a stand-alone site/publication and its staff just reports to GQ editorial. my editors haven't said anything other than "there are no plans to change what we're doing as of now" and they've started commissioning/publishing more reviews and have restarted feature

based on conversations i've had, i don't think the GQ folks want to actually destroy pfork, anna wintour just wanted to cripple the union

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:48 pm