undo
Duff...
15 posters

Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media.

Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media. - Page 3 Empty Re: Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media.

Post by Nick Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:09 pm

undo wrote:Do bands with male and female members count as female artists? (Sincere question.)

Good question that I guess I’ve not thought about. Is Fleetwood Mac a female artist or even Beach House for that matter?

Either way I don’t like this idea and think all it does is tweak their algorithm to pull in more female artists and so if I end up not liking their suggestions what does that mean?
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media. - Page 3 Empty Re: Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media.

Post by Duff... Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:20 pm

I'd suspect they'd go by the vocalist. Almost one hundred percent chance though that it's handled by some algorithm that gets it wrong a good deal of the time.
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Pizzas : 201

Post by C-poots Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:36 am

This was some of the stuff I was curious about too, because I've listened to a ton of Beach House and Hop Along and Japanese Breakfast and Mitski and Big Thief this past year and I kinda wanted to feel smugly satisfied in saying "fuck you" for considering the female lead/vocals a 'female band' or saying the total opposite was justified in calling it 'male music'.

I just wanna be outraged by all the outrage in 2018 is that such a crime
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1139

Post by undo Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:02 pm

I am outraged (I suppose) by brands trying to attach themselves to these movements.

It is tone deaf and usually pointless and often dilutes the message behind them.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:14 pm

I'm actually curious what this analysis would say about my Spotify listening, but I don't know if I want to give all my personal data to Smirnoff art!
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:22 pm

i like women bands guys

Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media. - Page 3 Dsc02510
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:46 pm

Props!
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:13 pm

Forgot all about that image but every detail is vivid in familiarity upon seeing it again.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:56 pm

remember back in '09 when everyone just wore graphic tees??
    Gene Bootcut
    Gene Bootcut
    A fanatic of the sketch genre

Pizzas : 441

Post by Gene Bootcut Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:44 pm

I think I mostly just associate it with American indie rock music, more than any specific era. All the new world bros earnestly rocking out to The Pains of Being Pure at Heart* in their graphic tees.

*They're from 2009, right?
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media. - Page 3 Empty I think this should go here

Post by Pete Best Tue May 01, 2018 4:12 pm

http://amp.slate.com/culture/2018/05/when-a-negative-pitchfork-review-could-end-a-career.html?__twitter_impression=true

I hadn't thought about this. Despite that I think this may be true.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue May 01, 2018 11:04 pm

Was gonna post that story. Not without its flaws but nice to remember giving a shit about Black Kids and Louis XIV, and hey, Brent D as a prominent antagonist.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon May 28, 2018 2:20 pm

https://pitchfork.com/news/nicki-minaj-supports-drake-in-pusha-t-beef/

I used to complain when their news section was just a bulletin board for Shins/Spoon PR blasts.

Now it's either this or some Netflix news
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon May 28, 2018 2:21 pm

chrondog wrote:you guys shouldn't be reading Pitchfork

I know
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:10 pm

Mostly I check this site on a regular basis just to see if anyone I know of has died
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:09 am

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/mark-richardsons-greatest-hits/

So where is he going?
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Post by Nick Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:08 pm

Why did they use their Sunday review on an album they rated a 5.9? I’ve not read it but it seems like an odd editorial decision.

“Yes, it is definitely time to revisit The Prodigy and discuss an album we don’t like and no one listens to anymore.”
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:29 pm

I played a lot of Tetris Plus while listening to that album.

I read that review late last night and it's been nagging me ever since for reasons that have nothing to do with the score.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:22 pm

Condé Nast buys Pitchfork Media. - Page 3 Contro10

My anecdotal "evidence" doesn't count for anything but I've been never read a word about this album and I boarded alongside all of you for well over a decade to say nothing of The Good Dr Bill, ben welsh, some girl, midnite vultures (?) and I can't be sure this was ever brought up.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:54 pm

I have never listened to a Janet Jackson album and I am going to change that very soon. I thought it was interesting that she featured so prominently in that re-done P4K list of the 1980s.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:11 pm

Velvet Rope is the one and only Janet Jackson record I've listened to and is a good argument for me listening to more Janet Jackson records. I wonder how many songs from Control I'm already in love with.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:39 am

Young Jesus leader John Rossiter writes essays for The Los Angeles Review of Books about viewing the NBA as a socioeconomic metaphor. In interviews, he talks about Crass and the non-narcotic uses of mushrooms. He works at a celebrated California bookstore, and only camp counselors seem more excited about their jobs. Maybe that all seems as imposing as Young Jesus’ new album, The Whole Thing Is Just There—six songs, 49 minutes, sprees of knotty improvisations within rock tunes. But there’s an endearing transparency to Young Jesus’ competing personality quirks. They’re the grad student at a Big Ten university who reads books about jazz improvisation while manning a DSA table on campus before getting drunk at the five-act indie rock house show. A sort of philosophy jam band that riffs on ideology and politics instead of actual solos, Young Jesus are audacious but accessible, instantly likable even at their most esoteric.

Dear God I hate this kind of writing with all my heart
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 67
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:46 pm

That sounds instantly unlikable.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:18 am

https://twitter.com/DonGiovanniRecs/status/1063202549635956738
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:43 pm

Kinda remember us all being brushed off by P4K boarders when wondering about conflict of interest concerns when Pitchfork Fest became a thing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:36 pm