Now Playing

BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Now Playing - Page 17 Empty Re: Now Playing

Post by BGwaves Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:09 am

Undo, did you play Sable? It’s actually a decent adventure game if you’re into that sorta thing. 3rd person open world lite, coming of age story.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:14 am

After buying Loop Finding Jazz Records the other day I dove back into this artists catalog. Forgot about Triosk meets Jan Jelinek - 1+3+1, which is a fantastic ‘modern jazz’ album that could easily fit in with Nala and the Gendelverse.
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1143

Post by undo Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:23 pm

I'm feeling this a lot stay frosty
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:58 pm

That's what I'm talking about
    techno raj
    techno raj
    Baller Ass Taco

Pizzas : 231

Post by techno raj Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:03 pm

I don't remember which thread Undo posted about Kids Indestructible, but I have now listened to it! First impression, it is cool. Very unassuming, so I need to give it some more time.

Honestly, it's possible that I heard one or more of these tracks back in the SOMB slsk days, if you were recommending it back then, and just never really absorbed it. Such was the time.

I hadn't thought about Abstrackt Keal Agram (whoever/whatever they/that are/is) in a long time; that was the version of Run Into Flowers that I listened to the most back then (and apparently still have on my present computer!)

Will give this some more spins and see if I reveals anything deeper.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:26 pm

Getting through an extremely slow and solitary day at work with this, on the last track right now. I've enjoyed bits of it over the years but never listened to the whole thing at once. It's great.

Cueing up volume 2 to get me through the afternoon.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sat May 06, 2023 11:45 am

MV & EE released a new album and it’s fucking amazing. If you’re longing for the days of good Sun Araw or early Ween, then this is the next step you should take. The bent lounge cover of Dancin in the Streets is particularly lopsided and cross eyed. Highly Recommended!!

Now Playing - Page 17 0031803969_10

https://mvandee.bandcamp.com/album/green-ark

Edit: The last song has this ridiculous bass line that goes off every15-30 seconds. It sounds like the kinda thing you’d hear when your skeeball game ends. Makes the song almost unlistenable, I'm not sure what they were thinking letting that thing gone on for the whole song.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon May 08, 2023 12:34 am

I am listening to Chance of Rain by Laurel Halo for the first time in several years.

I think this was my Official 2013 album of the year in my SOMB list. Does it "hold up"?

Who knows! While it's playing, I'm not browsing through other albums right now for once, looking for something else to listen to. What more could you ever ask for in an album?
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sat May 20, 2023 10:03 am

Listening to Incesticide while I prep to cut the grass. Filled with Dad energy this morning! Might even make pancakes afterward! Have a good day y’all
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 997
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat May 20, 2023 12:31 pm

Hell yeah
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat May 27, 2023 12:29 am

undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed May 31, 2023 12:08 pm

I think this album came out right around the time I was going through a big indie rock burnout phase, as I think a lot of people around that time were, which would help to explain a lot of the shift away from guitar-based music that would dominate the listening habits of a wide-sweeping demographic of listeners in the decade to come. So I definitely do remember being into this but then all of a sudden just not feeling it anymore for some reason. I remember making a thread on SOMB that went absolutely nowhere and had no point to it--Just one, undo? Are you sure?--called "Bands that should be better than they are" or something like that. I have no idea why I specifically listed Electrelane in that thread. I can't overstate how pointless that thread must have been but I remember it for some reason so it must have been a reflection of something I was feeling at the time.

I'm at work now and absolutely beaming and killing it and I think listening to this album on the drive over must have something to do with it.

Maybe I thought this band should be "better than they are" because they were clearly super capable of writing perfect hooks and creating these absolutely wonderful moments in their songs but they employ them so sparingly that it almost feels like a tease at times. Maybe I thought that was a bad thing in the past but my feelings about that sort of thing have changed considerably over time.

I don't "understand music" and never will, this is just a clumsy attempt to pass as my idea of a person who kinda sorta does.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:01 pm

I have their album Axes. I haven’t listened to it in a while and I appreciate your post for reminding me. I think a lot of artists who want to tread a path that isn’t pop music can likely pull a hook out of thin air but don’t employ them because they don’t wanna be pop. Hooks aren’t that hard to come up with, you just do a thing many times until it sticks. ‘Na nana na na na nana nana nana na’ ~Counting Crows
    When I was in a pop punk band, one of our most ‘famous’ songs was just us yelling Chicago during the chorus. People liked it because it’s about the home town but also, very easy to sing along. Another, ‘she’s leavin, leavaaaaaaaaaaaahaan, and she’s all I ever wanteeeeeeeeed, yeah, she’s leavin… etc.Who can’t relate to a person leaving when you want them to stay? So, good ingredients can take you a long way. On the other hand, I think many pop superstars create horrible hooks that have no business being so popular. Watermelon Sugar High by Harry Styles is my favorite example of this, the hook is horrible! But because he’s Harry, people just get bludgeoned into liking it, versus liking organically. Or, they simply don’t make sense, like Ed Sheeren saying, ‘they say scars heal but mine probably won’t’ you’re right Ed, because scars don’t heal, that’s what makes them scars.

What I find interesting is Classical music, Western or otherwise, does not favor the pop hook because they're too simplistic. While traditional tribal music might take something like a pop hook but then turn it into an all night drum jam. Although simple repetition can be nice, it’s not groundbreaking and I feel that a lot of experimental artists choose that path to be groundbreaking. This isn’t an argument against pop hooks either, it’s just my feelings with respect to undo’s thought.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:07 am

I bought The Necks - Hanging Gardens last night. I love this album and actually forgot it existed until I read a write up of the necks that mentioned it. This album is like in a silent way meets LTJ bukem, so good.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:03 pm

Only the first album from this band, Julie Only, ever gets any attention. I didn't even know they had two others after it!

The second album titled Seconds has all kind of really cool interludes and instrumental experiments and grooves that make it a quintessential late 90s Too Pure release. This third album is much more polished and conventional indie rock by comparison but still has that pre-Pitchfork era hidden gem-feel to it.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:07 pm

BGwaves wrote:On the other hand, I think many pop superstars create horrible hooks that have no business being so popular. Watermelon Sugar High by Harry Styles is my favorite example of this, the hook is horrible! But because he’s Harry, people just get bludgeoned into liking it, versus liking organically.

I like "As It Was" but I think I might have been bludgeoned into it. I hear it every week in some public place and there's just nothing else the least bit interesting being introduced into those spaces to give it any competition.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:56 pm

The first at least six or seven times I heard "As It Was" I'd had no idea I'd heard it before until the part where he sings the title of the song. Have been marveling lately how that song and whatever nonsense Racial Slurs Mullet is riding high on right now can dominate the charts while Dua Lipa has never even reached #1 in this country.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:10 pm

undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:50 pm

Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 997
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:58 pm

Duff... wrote:Racial Slurs Mullet

“Country star Morgan Wallen”
    “Squirrelly man child at Dallas Stars hockey game”

Those are top two google results I’m getting for “racial slurs mullet.” I assume you’re talking about the Morgan Wallen guy and not Kid Rock?
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:30 pm

This time.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:47 pm

undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:19 pm

Suddenly dawned on me that this is 2023 and the one bright spot about that is I can finally listen to this if I want to.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:32 pm

I think 26 Mixes For Cash is an underrated Aphex Twin album. I don’t often hear it talked about in conversations with his mainline albums like Selected Ambients, I care Because You Do, etc. But, having bought the vinyl recently I’ve been listening more and I gotta say, this one rules hard. The SeeFeel cover that starts the album is one of my favorite Aphex Twin tracks, and really, the first 3 tracks are up there with some of his best downtempo work. The only terrible track is the rework of the Philip Glass cover of Bowies Hero’s and it might be one of his worst tracks. But it’s short and can be skipped easily since it starts the side.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:52 pm

I heard some of it in my friend's car 20 years ago and that was a good night and I've never gotten around to revisiting it since then.

Trying to be a Seefeel completist so it's kind of inexcusable and weird that I haven't copped it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 7:50 am