reuben
24 posters

[solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop

Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 809
    DispositionSunny.

[solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop - Page 10 Empty Re: [solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop

Post by Duff... Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:53 am

Spoiler:

Kinda at a loss here.
    Dan Sausage
    Dan Sausage
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 92

[solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop - Page 10 Empty Re: [solved]and I hate modern music, disco boogie and pop

Post by Dan Sausage Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:02 pm

been really enjoying the first few aerosmith records
    undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1138

Post by undo Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:15 pm

Spoiler:

What is this and how does it have 16 million views?
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 342

Post by chrondog Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:33 pm

Beyonce is so unbelievably uncool, it's almost sickening

The music itself ain't the worst thing in the world, but...
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Pizzas : 710

Post by reuben Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:04 pm

I thought you kids all loved Beyonce? hmmmm....
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:50 pm

She's not my favorite. I thought her last album was really interesting musically. I liked all those songs when people played them for me, not super familiar with it though. There's 3-4 really good songs, I think.

Her brand of corny, commercial feminism/blackness is super lame though. All she's trying to do is sell some damn Pepsi Cola. It's pure coincidence that the ca$h out move for her in this day and age is to hop on some BLM/Flint Water crisis shit. And there's a place for that, since her music is decent and those are good causes. But it doesn't make me say "YAAAAS QUEEN". I'm indifferent.

This is good: http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2016/02/beyonce_went_full_black_apparently_i_m_here_for_it.html?wpisrc=mostpopular
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:30 pm

Duff... wrote:This is one of the very worst things I've heard in a while.
    Spoiler:

http://blissout.blogspot.com/2016/02/my-names-blurryface-and-i-care-what-you.html
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:29 pm

Ugh, is this making a come back? "Beneath contempt" about says it all, yeah.

jasperness wrote:She's not my favorite. I thought her last album was really interesting musically. I liked all those songs when people played them for me, not super familiar with it though. There's 3-4 really good songs, I think.

Her brand of corny, commercial feminism/blackness is super lame though. All she's trying to do is sell some damn Pepsi Cola. It's pure coincidence that the ca$h out move for her in this day and age is to hop on some BLM/Flint Water crisis shit. And there's a place for that, since her music is decent and those are good causes. But it doesn't make me say "YAAAAS QUEEN". I'm indifferent.

Good to see Chronodiggity is still Chronodiggity.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:00 am

I actually thought her last album was pretty great from start to finish. I'm indifferent to her place in pop culture and think she is basically a hip version of Oprah Winfrey for the millennial generation... But who knows, those kinds of things almost never appeal to me. We should all be able to admit though that "Heaven" and "Blue" are basically the most transcendentally beautiful tracks of the past few years.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:01 pm

There's so many think pieces on this Beyonce thing I just don't know how to feel.

hmmmm....
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:35 pm

I haven't read any or watched her Super Bowl performance but I'm assuming that she did something to make #BLM look corny.gif
    Paves
    Paves
    Tub of Lemon Chobani

Pizzas : 181

Post by Paves Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:18 pm

Sausage wrote:been really enjoying the first few aerosmith records

Here's a guy who knows the danged score! im feelin it
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:18 pm

undo wrote:I haven't read any or watched her Super Bowl performance but I'm assuming that she did something to make #BLM look corny.gif

As far as I can tell Chrono is literally the only person who thinks this.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:39 pm

Duff... wrote:
    undo wrote:I haven't read any or watched her Super Bowl performance but I'm assuming that she did something to make #BLM look corny.gif

She says the word "negro" in the song four times, and name checks Red Lobster, collard greens, and cornbread. I can't see that as anything other than her attempting to play up her blackness in a moment when making a racial statement is very trendy in the mainstream, progressive culture. It's very safe for Beyonce, who has been criticized in the past for not using her immense platform to advocate for black people, to do so now when it is also profitable to do so.

As I said, there's nothing wrong with that message. It's a good message. There's nothing wrong with a pop artist trying to be commercially successful and relevant. It isn't worthy of all the "analysis" that it gets (and, believe me, I understand the irony in me wanting to analyze why this is not worthy of analysis). It is entirely predictable.

It's corny.gif to me is the way the media eats this up and declares that Beyonce has "made a statement" or is herself a political actor. It's not and, to me, she isn't. It's a pop song that makes allusions to the pop culture moment. Broadly, it could be seen as an important thermometer for the culture--if Beyonce feels like she can make these statements, it says a lot about where pop culture is. It means that certain aspects of blackness are more mainstream, which is a victory. But it is not a radical step--it reflects (perhaps radical) changes that have already happened.

Last edited by jasperness on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
    petey
    petey
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 49

Post by petey Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:47 pm

i actually kinda agree w this
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:51 pm

I always edit my posts too much disgustedatrightwing

Edited my post while Petey was typing. Worth rereading to make sure you still agree.
    petey
    petey

Post by petey Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:11 am

fair enough

i still stand by "i actually kinda agree w this"
    petey
    petey

Post by petey Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:19 am

Maybe Chronodiggity is being harsher than I really feel. I think that Beyonce is latching on to a groundswell of an opinion and making it popular. Or bringing light to it thru her popularity. In any event, I don't fault her for it at all, but I certainly don't think anyone should be on their knees genuflecting before "Queen" because she's a queen. She's basically doing what numerous artists before her have done before albeit in maybe a more political sense. In any event, no hate, and I don't think she's corny, but certainly nothing revolutionary on her part either. And a very large part of me thinks it's very well calculated on her part. But who can tell these days?!
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:20 am

Solid! I just think that seeing Beyonce as "savvy" is more accurate than "visionary".

But because there's this synergy between commercial artists like Beyonce and commercial media brands and writers, I understand why there's a knee jerk overreaction of "OMG BEYONCE CHANGED THE GAME AGAIN!" That's basically the way it has to be at this point.

I'll still gripe.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:27 am

petey wrote:I certainly don't think anyone should be on their knees genuflecting before "Queen" because she's a queen.

I also find it very hard in our current meme-obsessed culture to pinpoint to what extent people say things like this precisely because it is a meme. Because it is intellectually easy and on the tip of everyone's tongue already. Beyonce has been "Queen" in the past, so in some sense she will always be Queen.
    WP64
    WP64
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Pizzas : 65
    DispositionIntransigent

Post by WP64 Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:52 am

reuben wrote:There's so many think pieces on this Beyonce thing I just don't know how to feel.

hmmmm....
    Agreed! mang
    C-poots
    C-poots
    Shiek

Pizzas : 201

Post by C-poots Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:46 am

jasperness wrote:
    petey wrote:I certainly don't think anyone should be on their knees genuflecting before "Queen" because she's a queen.

I also find it very hard in our current meme-obsessed culture to pinpoint to what extent people say things like this precisely because it is a meme. Because it is intellectually easy and on the tip of everyone's tongue already. Beyonce has been "Queen" in the past, so in some sense she will always be Queen.

Was going to respond with some intellectualization of memability-to-think-pieceability ratios or some shit but honestly I just don't understand how the internet and young people work anymore so I'll just keep reading what you guys say.
    reuben
    reuben
    President Bannon

Post by reuben Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:13 am

Duff... wrote:

Not according to this thing I just read on Slate dot com.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:27 pm

reuben wrote:
    Duff... wrote:

Not according to this thing I just read on Slate dot com.

lol, I saw that (of course on slate) right after posting that.

It's not that I really disagree with much anyone's saying in this thread, I just don't see a need to gripe. For starters, this Beyoncé began last album cycle: "#Flawless" was as much (perhaps more) about being specifically a black woman than just being a woman, and pulling back from the sorta political, sorta social thing she'd been dabbling with at this point in history would be kinda weird. And it's not as if BLM is universally held in high regard. There is a risk of alienating a mainstream audience by playing up blackness. And I mean a couple years ago the entire world was falling all over itself pretending Mylie Cyrus and her foam finger and Beetlejuice-clad male counterpart did a single thing new or shocking that Madonna hadn't done way better decades ago. This is a good thing to be buzzing around, and it's a good song. Just embrace it.
    chrondog
    chrondog
    Mystery Thread Deleter

Post by chrondog Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:43 pm

Duff... wrote: it's a good song.

it's no "Partition"! Razz

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:30 am