undo
BGwaves
13 posters

Thought Dump : Music Edition

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1145

Thought Dump : Music Edition - Page 6 Empty Re: Thought Dump : Music Edition

Post by undo Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:42 pm

Reading that would probably solve my problems.

I didn't really grow up on their music like I was supposed to or anything like that but that's no excuse.

Lots of people diagnose themselves with "face blindness" even though they don't have it, I don't want to be one of those fakers but I have often felt like I have trouble with that kind of thing. Show me a black and white photo of The Beatles at their youngest, where they've all got the same haircut and are dressed alike, and I might make a rather embarrassing mistake in guessing who is who.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 812
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:21 am

Eh, the only one I can distinguish is Adam Yauch and I can never keep his rap name straight.
    damo suzuki
    damo suzuki
    Still has http://lotsofpeopleposting.teensboards.com bookmarked

Pizzas : 65

Post by damo suzuki Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:11 pm

I think the wrong lessons were learned from the "pro-pop music" movement years ago. A lot of what is praised today would and ought to be admonished as not very good music.

Those in the aftermath of the pro-pop music movement ought to have taken their assessments from like:

undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:07 pm

There's a "Please Don't Go" that's not by Double You? imlikewhoa
    coyote
    coyote
    A classically handsome man's man in the Huey Lewis mold

Pizzas : 99

Post by coyote Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:32 pm

Whoever mixed the trebly bass up high in "rusty cage" deserves a Grammy

undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:49 pm

I can never prove this but I am certain that this song, and many others like it, are directly responsible for tens of thousands of young people experimenting with self-harm, many of which would become habitual cutters and ultimately act out on suicidal thoughts they otherwise would never have entertained.

I don't think the idea would have occurred to many of them if it hadn't been introduced in such a provocative way that directly spoke to them with the voice of a peer they were so willing to identify with.

I both believe that I am definitely onto something here but also participating in a conservative though process that places the blame for various social ills directly onto media.

Perhaps it is no different at all than the handwringers who believe--honestly or in bad faith--that young people who refuse to conform to the gender assigned to them at birth are mostly being brainwashed by seductive ideas they're being fed from outside, and that their behavior is NOT a natural instinct, but a learned one. Many such people also believe this is not simply deviant behavior (which it is by the definition of the word) but is self-destructive and dangerous, which (to them and their intended audience) justifies any of their means of attempting to curb it in public or private life.

Obviously I believe that's nonsense but perhaps I am following a similar thought process?
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 997
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:37 pm

I can’t stop staring at the facial expression of Papa Roach guitar dude on the right and I think it’s really funny that those dudes are probably somebody’s weird, out of touch uncles, parents or grandparents.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 284
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:44 pm

I was gonna try to post something ‘meaningfully’ and then decided this was a better move.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:39 pm

BGwaves wrote:

I was gonna try to post something ‘meaningfully’ and then decided this was a better move.

I have never not enjoyed a Best Show clip that you've shared and this was no exception.

Little Neddy goes to war wrote:I can’t stop staring at the facial expression of Papa Roach guitar dude on the right and I think it’s really funny that those dudes are probably somebody’s weird, out of touch uncles, parents or grandparents.

They've still got it.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:28 am

Ya know what? Damn right and good on em. Singer’s hair and drummer’s Bad Brains shirt are enough to make me a Papa Roach fan in 2022. I wish them the best.

I’m still not sure how to (or whether I even should) engage with the substantive part of your post, but in my defense I am hardly a man of substance.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:11 pm

I need an example of a "release" that contains songs that:

-are only from one artist
    -are all "old" songs (were recorded a decade before the release was released)
    -were never available anywhere else

Someone on RYM is telling me that the entry I made for something is incorrect. I need to find something else like it that fits the same criteria and see how that release was categorized.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:31 pm

Does Springsteen’s “The Promise” count? Prince’s “Originals” album?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:56 pm

I think they do and I think that tells me what I need to know. Thanks!
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 284
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:00 am

Should I finally listen to The Smile?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:26 pm

Yes

Should I finally listen to Atoms For Peace?
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:47 pm

Wait, is like, Flea in that, or do I need to get a lot more sleep?
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:47 pm

Also yes, listen to The Smile.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:38 pm

The Smile is really good. If you like the guys who are in The Smile, you should listen to The Smile.

On a mostly sorta only tangentially related note, there is way too much good music out there (in the spirit of thought dump, and yeah duh everybody laments this, but it’s super cliché for a reason).

With other forms of art, being a completionist at heart doesn’t vex me as much, but given the extent to which I’m obsessed with music… I just constantly find myself all sorts a bummed that I’ll never be able to hear it all.

I’m in some fancy, like Chris Eliot’s offscreen dad (“daddy” I assume) in Cabin Boy (I assume) level of fancy, whisky bar attached to this posh ass hotel I managed to get the US government to send me to (to participate in dialogues with key leaders about the collaborative process to build synergy in our respective aircraft carrier programmes and that sounds like an AI generated buncha nonsense, but here we are i guess) and they have been playing a bunch of stuff that I’ve never heard before but am loving. It helps that I abandoned the main delegation of important people to “knock off early,” but tho I’m jet lagged, mostly I just left cause I don’t want admirals and generals and shit remembering me as “that sloppy kid from USN staff.” Anyhoodle, long story short, these are the last couple things in my Shazam queue (in reverse order… latest heard is on top) and I think electronic music is sorta rad:

Live Hard, Live Free by Eri Ohno
    Toque de Cuica by Airto Moreira
    Oud Ou Ray by Sultan Shakes
    Clean on Your Bean #1 by Dinosaur L
    You Can Dance by Gabe Gurnsey
    M'ongeule M'am by Eko
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:52 pm

Oh fuck now they’re playing Raspberry Beret and god damn no music ever in the history of history is as good as Prince.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:12 pm

No idea when I last listened to this but it is fucking me up and turning me inside out this fine afternoon.

A few months ago I tried to listen to the third DJ Shadow album (The Outsider) with an open mind and refusing to believe it could be as bad as I must have seemed to think it was back when it came out. Oh God, it was very difficult to get through side 1.

I can understand why artists "fall off" with age but that's different than understanding exactly "how" that happens and when I listen to this I just can't wrap my head around it.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 980

Post by Nick Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:37 pm

Radiohead are maybe my favorite band ever and on a previous message board I once stated I’d listen to Thom Yorke peeing in a bucket and probably still call it excellent.

That being said, The Smile album kinda bored me.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:55 pm

undo wrote:

No idea when I last listened to this but it is fucking me up and turning me inside out this fine afternoon.

Thanks for this. I’d never heard before and it’s hella rad. The extent of my DJ Shadow fandom (or lack there of) is that I read about Endtroducing being the top Pitchfork album of 1990whatever, listened a few times, and didn’t really have it grab me by the brain banana. This confirms that I need to give the dude a review.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:35 pm

Thought Dump : Music Edition - Page 6 Morbid10
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:37 pm

Longtime Morbid Angel fan here, gotta admit I'm not a big fan of their spiritual beliefs but I judge the art, not the artist!
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:26 pm

God people are weird.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:46 pm