undo
BGwaves
13 posters

Thought Dump : Music Edition

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1145

Thought Dump : Music Edition - Page 4 Empty Re: Thought Dump : Music Edition

Post by undo Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:06 pm

I didn't even include "How Soon Is Now?" on that list.

This is just amazing, pure poetry.

Nothing with this sensibility or introspective vulnerability exists on a big scale for everyone to enjoy any longer. Instead we have ten years of Ed Sheeran and twenty years of Maroon 5
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 812
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:53 pm

I think if anyone can come up with a list, we can. It won't be like the 80's, but that list isn't like the 70's etc. I'll start:

BOB/Ms. Jackson/So Fresh, So Clean
    MAPS
    Take Me Out
    Mr Brightside (otherwise a worthless band, I don't need to tell you)
    Untitled
    Seven Nation Army
    Umbrella
    Drive
    Insecure/Through the Wire/Golddigger/Power/Runaway/Flashing Lights/etc
    I Love It
    Float On
    Clint Eastwood
    Alright
    My Love
    Levitating
    Adorn
    Last Nite
    Rebellion (Lies)
    One More Time

Not everyone's gonna agree on all of these but it's a start.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 284
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:17 pm

Seven nation army, and mr brightside are absolutely canon at this point. My girl threw an arts event at her school last year and they had a talent show. The lone band at the talent show covered mr brightside. SNA is obvious in a way, they play it at sporting events all over the world. I was also thinking Paramore ‘misery business’ and Ke$ha ‘we r who we r’ should be on the list. Not a huge fan of either but I think they both inhabited a space that was indie rock friendly in their time.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:48 pm

BGwaves wrote: Paramore ‘misery business’

Absolutely.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:58 am

There is nothing wrong with the vocals to this song but this morning I really want to listen to it without them.

There does not seem to be an "official" instrumental version of this song released by the band or the band's record label. So then, where did this come from? This was uploaded to YouTube in 2010.

Does the software that promises to remove vocals from songs actually work?

Is this from a karaoke machine? Where do all of those songs come from?

Can't help but worry that any set of telltale frequencies that may have been peeled away in order to remove the vocals might have also removed other sounds in the process, I mean there's just no way anything like that could work perfectly, right?
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:29 pm

I’m surprised they haven’t released some weird 28th anniversary box set for that album with outtakes and other crap you’d expect out of those things. A mix without Kedis has to exist, right? I’d actually love a version of breaking the girl without vocals, I’ve always felt that was a good song with dumb lyrics. In fact, after listening a second ago, I’d take a person humming the vocal melody but nothing more, no chorus. Breaking the girl? Ugh, fucking gross.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:04 pm

I’m looking at pics of Gathering of the Juggalos 2022 on Brooklyn vegan and thinking to myself, I wonder if they dig Oval?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:26 am

ICP would be playing ATP if it hadn't bit the dust
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:42 pm

BGwaves wrote:I’m looking at pics of Gathering of the Juggalos 2022 on Brooklyn vegan

Huh.
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:22 pm

Is the radio edit of "Nuthin But a G Thang" truly superiour? Or do I just think that because I'd heard that version on the radio and MTV a million times before hearing the album?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:27 pm

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/number_one_cup

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

why have I heard (of?) them and where
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:21 pm

Was almost ready to maybe stop being mad at Kanye West.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:17 pm

Did the film Network contain the original Vaporwave aesthetic?

undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:11 am

Twenty-five years ago, they spoke out and they broke out
    Of recession and oppression and together they toked
    And they folked out with guitars around a bonfire
    Just singin' and clappin', man, what the hell happened

"Walkin' on the Sun" is a song by American rock band Smash Mouth from their first album, Fush Yu Mang (1997). Released as their debut single in June 1997, the song was Smash Mouth's first major single, reaching No. 1 on the US Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart and No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 Airplay chart.

More time has passed between the release of this song and today than between the release of the song and the distant bygone era it recalls
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 980

Post by Nick Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:52 am

If I could go back to the 1997 version of myself I’d offer the following advice: “These good times won’t last forever, buddy. Enjoy them while they last. And maybe listen to “Walkin on the Sun” a few more times.”
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 997
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:42 pm

Did nirvana ever cover this? Cause I’m assuming they did.

undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:28 pm

Feeling like I'm going to live to see a nuclear war at some point and it's going to ruin "Gay Bar" by Electric Six.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:01 am

Haven't watched this movie but this does not look great.

Terrible hybrid of the song just ripped from the CD mixed with fake-sounding crowd noise. Why not play the audio that's actually in the recording? Obviously it's not going to sound perfect and amazing but I thought that was the vibe they were trying to celebrate here. Imagine this approach in a straightforward documentary about 70s punk or pretty much any music scene or band. You wouldn't buy into it or understand the point of watching it versus any random video essay on YouTube. You might even think it looks corny.

But when I say you, obviously I mean me.
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 980

Post by Nick Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:38 pm

Wild to me that Lizzie Goodman was able to write this book and get it turned into a movie. I could be way off but is there that large of an audience nostalgic for an era like 20 years ago that feels not that significant artistically?
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:43 pm

I think if the had just moved away from the live footage right away into the montage that ends the clip it would work better. It’s crazy that they couldn’t find a good live recording, clearly the one that accompanies that footage was not usable or they would have used it. But you’re totally right about that crowd noise, WTF? I mean just make the choice to use the bad live audio or the album version but adding fake crowd noise doesn’t make any sense. With all that said, the history of VICE productions films does not have me excited for the care that they will put into this subject. Their film about Black Metal was sensationalist and not informative. To give it some credit it was presented as fiction, but still
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:00 am

I have no proof of this but I think rock radio largely took a pass on Against Me! because they were already playing a band called Rise Against.

And that Rise Against only ever got played because programmers were too scared of playing Bad Religion and were desperate for an inoffensive alternative. That's kind of a stretch and the decade or so between the two bands' peaks in popularity probably disproves it but I haven't found any other reasonable explanation for how such a bland and boring band got so big.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:08 am

Nick wrote:Wild to me that Lizzie Goodman was able to write this book and get it turned into a movie. I could be way off but is there that large of an audience nostalgic for an era like 20 years ago that feels not that significant artistically?

People with skin in the game rightfully realized that the "inevitable" nostalgic revival for this stuff was actually never going to happen, that there's not going to be some newfound appreciation for this era and that they were sitting on a depreciating asset that needed to be cashed in before it was totally worthless.

Harsh realm but that's the world now.
    Pete Best
    Pete Best
    Solid Bro

Pizzas : 116
    DispositionSweet

Post by Pete Best Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:35 am

undo wrote:
    Nick wrote:Wild to me that Lizzie Goodman was able to write this book and get it turned into a movie. I could be way off but is there that large of an audience nostalgic for an era like 20 years ago that feels not that significant artistically?

People with skin in the game rightfully realized that the "inevitable" nostalgic revival for this stuff was actually never going to happen, that there's not going to be some newfound appreciation for this era and that they were sitting on a depreciating asset that needed to be cashed in before it was totally worthless.

Harsh realm but that's the world now.

The book is enormous, like 600 pages long. I bought it because I worried it might go out of print, but I'm still not going to read it for a few more years (I hope I don't die!)

I remember reading John Harris' The Last Party in 2003/04, and all that stuff seemed like ancient history to me even though it was from when I was barely paying attention to the cultural world around me. Now, 20 years on from all that New Rock Revolution stuff, it feels like only yesterday.

I'm reading Chuck Klosterman's The Nineties and Daniel Rachel's Don't Look Back In Anger, as 90s nostalgia feels a bit more "in" than post-millennial tension and one book about Britpop every 20 years is enough.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:47 pm

Definitely x-post tv and elite music threads… but I really want to talk about the scene in Better Call Saul where McKean and Odenkirk sing “The Winner Takes it all” at karaoke night.

First and foremost, this is everything. The quality of the song. The bad (in the best way) and good (in the best way) performances by the principals. The balance of rivalry/unconditional love between brothers that fucking hits me right in the sad brain part of my heart.

This is not a good internet post. But I’m drunk after football losses, and I’m listening to Abba. And there is no way there is any art that is this good.

McKean and Odenkirk are in my forever head cannon. These two guys that are dork/clown unserious people are so much better at hitting human reality than “google searches best living actor.”

Life is an utter horror show of futility and depression. If you try to play it straight, you will fail. The reason Dr. Strangelove is better than Fail Safe is that without making clear the comedic value to our shared suffering, this entire enterprise takes the shape of masochistic awefulness. Let’s lean into the understanding of us all being totally fucked.

Anyway, fuck all that shit, life is amazing. One Fine Day just started playing on my jam box.
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:41 pm

This whole "oh shit a kate bush moment" phenomenon is being written about a lot by journalists who I assume are like 12 and don't even remember Wayne and Garth headbanging to Bohemian Rhapsody which is weird, but I still hope this Wednesday show gives the surviving Cramps and their families a lot of money.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:11 am