undo
BGwaves
13 posters

Thought Dump : Music Edition

undo
    undo
    Internet's Busiest Music Nerd

Pizzas : 1141

Thought Dump : Music Edition - Page 3 Empty Re: Thought Dump : Music Edition

Post by undo Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:23 am

shoegaze?
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:38 pm

Culture feels completely stuck in this moment, absolutely zero urgency to move on and let it go. Its vision of a timeless and authentic whiteness spoke to people.

Released ten years ago this week. 100th biggest song of the decade in the US, although I think that undersells its legacy and what it meant as a proto-Trump, Instagram-ready design for life for craft beer-drinking megachurch millennials planning big families.
    vIv
    vIv
    Volunteer worker

Pizzas : 89

Post by vIv Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:41 pm

undo wrote:

shoegaze?

Interesting. Never thought of it that way but the opening especially has Chapterhouse/ Catherine Wheel/ Ride sensibilities in the guitar tones. It's really more cranked up distortion than tremelo gauze/ wash, though. I have usually thought of this as a sort of pop-alternative grunge along the lines of Radiohead's "Creep."
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:15 am

I probably first heard the Pixies decades ago and never thought much of them. But each year since I have slowly come to like them more. We’re talking extreme slowness so think total indifference for years that has built up over decades to where now Doolittle is one of my favorite albums.

I can’t think of another band where this happened to me. If I feel indifference for that sustained period of time I just never go back. But with Pixies, each year I’ve gone back to an album or series of songs and now I love all that shit.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves
    basically just a wordier, shittier sausage blurb

Pizzas : 283
    DispositionBLACK..... coffee in bed

Post by BGwaves Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:24 am

Have you ever heard the ‘UK Surf’ version of Wave of Mutilation?

The first Pixies song I ever heard. It was from the Pump Up The Volume soundtrack, imagine my surprise when I heard the version on Doolittle

BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:00 am

I was lookin around at Beverly Phono Mart when they brought out Donda. A triple vinyl all black gatefold with no texture or anything else. $60. Dude is a joke. Also he’s getting sued by Marshall Jefferson for using a sample of Move Your Body like it’s 2006…
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:39 am

Did this song ever have a "life" outside of the message board music dork/critic discourse?

I mean it didn't actually get radio play did it?

undo
    undo

Post by undo Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:46 pm

I wanna range life
    If I could settle down
    If I could settle down
    Then I would settle down

Is "wanna" short for "want a" or "want to"? Does it matter?

settle down

phrasal verb

1: to become quiet, calm, or orderly
    Settle down, children.
    When things settle down here, I'll come for a visit.
    2: to begin to live a quiet and steady life by getting a regular job, getting married, etc.
    They swore they would never settle down and get married.

A range life might help you achieve #1 but if #2 is in the cards then having a range life is impossible.
    Duff...
    Duff...
    Current Bass Player of UFO

Pizzas : 810
    DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:51 am

undo wrote:

Did this song ever have a "life" outside of the message board music dork/critic discourse?

I mean it didn't actually get radio play did it?

I still remember hearing this for the first time. Had no idea they had new music out, the video came on a weekday night on MTV and it just immediately blew my damn mind. I think I've seen the video three time since.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:00 pm

I didn't mean to imply that it's "overrated" or that its lack of chart success means it "belongs" to [a demographic of people you don't want your music to "belong" to as a credible rap group]. I guess I was just surprised to see that it peaked on the rap/R&B singles chart at #69 and nothing else here in the US. As if that's even weird. They actually had tons of singles like that, not everything they put out there went top 40. Very far from it. Expecting that this one was going to do numbers or whatever was ridiculous.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:03 pm

Thought Dump : Music Edition - Page 3 Lookin10

now do Kraftwerk!
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:04 pm

I just realized I've been singing the chorus to "When Doves Cry" all wrong my whole life Embarassed
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:25 am

"Too old"?
    Duff...
    Duff...

DispositionSunny.

Post by Duff... Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:26 am

undo wrote:I didn't mean to imply that it's "overrated" or that its lack of chart success means it "belongs" to [a demographic of people you don't want your music to "belong" to as a credible rap group]. I guess I was just surprised to see that it peaked on the rap/R&B singles chart at #69 and nothing else here in the US. As if that's even weird. They actually had tons of singles like that, not everything they put out there went top 40. Very far from it. Expecting that this one was going to do numbers or whatever was ridiculous.

Yeah, I know. The song was so huge in my life I forget that it was Ms. Jackson that was huge (not that it shouldn't have been but).
    Ned Braden
    Ned Braden
    Yawn Yeller

Pizzas : 997
    DispositionRock Guitars

Post by Ned Braden Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:27 am

In my head canon the guy talking to Harry Dean Stanton in between songs on the Partly Fiction album (a no shit, top five all time record imhfo) is Adam Eget.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:32 am

Autumn sweater and I Think I’m in Love share a similar groove from a similar time in indie rock. Was this groove a thing? Are there other songs from this era that rode the bass and drums and let the other instruments paint around the edges? As I was typing I thought of Natural One, although it’s groove seems more influenced by breakbeat hip hop.

undo
    undo

Post by undo Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:13 pm

My first thought was something like Bowery Electric but that's basically like saying "what about trip-hop?" and that's not what you're talking about at all.

My second thought was this, which is also probably outside of what you're looking for. (This was also a "hit," I have no idea what this group was about, if they were really going for it for if they just happened to get swept up in the last gasps of major labels gambling on "weird" alternative music.

Spoiler:
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:42 pm

While I like that song it’s more like oversized breakbeat hip hop. Maybe these 2 songs just really sound like each other and this should have gone in the HOLY SHIT! Same song thread. Either way, I hope everyone enjoyed a little autumn sweater and a little think I’m in love, some dreamy good jams, imo
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:40 pm

the Kevin Shields remix of "Autumn Sweater" is my most tantalizing road not taken for late 90s music as a whole. I know I've gushed about it here or in the deleted archives of JDFF but I haven't repeated it in a while: just a beautiful singular thing that even 25 years later has no peer
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:57 pm

I forgot to say that yea, that remix is amazing. Sounds like Dots and Loops eta Stereolab to my ears, to each their own.
    BGwaves
    BGwaves

Post by BGwaves Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:59 pm

I also came here to say that it took me this long to realize that you could swipe your YouTube videos to the side and still do other things while your video plays in the background. This changes things
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:57 pm

What if "Blinding Lights" is my favorite song of the last ten years?

Is it time for me to hang it up
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:07 pm

What has the 21st century produced that is on the level with music of the 80s?

Everybody Wants To Rule the World
    Melt With You
    Running Up That Hill
    Billie Jean / Thriller / Wanna Be Startin Something
    Genius of Love
    Fast Car
    Purple Rain / When Doves Cry
    Bizarre Love Triangle
    West End Girls
    Fascination Street
    Head Like a Hole
    Where the Streets Have No Name (or whatever U2 you want here, or none of their songs look I know they're not cool anymore but what do we have that fills this niche now? Coldplay? get out of here)
    Total Eclipse of the Heart
    Take On Me

^These were all "popular" songs back when they came out, not misunderstood indie deep cuts or whatever. What in the world from 2000-2022 that was similarly popular has a snowball's chance in hell of actually "getting better with age" (as I'm always assured by everyone that music will always be, yeah right).

Is this idea just a generational constant and there's already a huge canon of 2000s music that is AMAZING and I'll just never feel it or understand it? Not saying that every decade needs to have a Bob Dylan or that we're screwed if Kanye isn't literally The Beatles or something. I just don't see where the good songs were. Maybe if people bothered to make a few of them, the world would be just a little less fucked up right now? Just a theory!

Last edited by undo on Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Nick
    Nick
    anorexic Skeletor

Pizzas : 978

Post by Nick Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:30 pm

Undo - That list of songs certainly contains some untouchable, all time favorites of mine. You can hear most of those every other hour on Sirius XM 1st Wave.

I have extreme nostalgia for 80s U2 and Songs from the Big Chair. Madonna’s 80s singles are extraordinary no matter what you think of her later releases.

I’d add Concrete Blond’s “Joey” to the list but I think it was released in 1990. I associate it with the 80s though.
    undo
    undo

Post by undo Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:00 pm

Nick wrote:I’d add Concrete Blond’s “Joey” to the list but I think it was released in 1990. I associate it with the 80s though.

This is a song that I have come close to starting a thread about a few times.

I saw it on this list, which in itself tells one of the weirdest stories about the music businss/culture/ "the 90s" that you'll ever come across.

But really I found myself coming back to this song and wondering who the singer was.

And then hearing "Joey" and reading that it was a top 20 hit in the US, but then not even being sure that I had ever heard it before. I wanted to start a thread about that but I already did that kind of thing once and I don't know if it would be as well received a second time around.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 9:58 pm